Poetry Society Membership Offers
PLEASE NOTE: offers on this page are available only to card-carrying members of the Poetry Society. To join, visit www.poetrysociety.org.uk/content/membership/
- 19 Aug: Samantha Shaw and Anna Robinson win tickets to Alice in Wonderland, 26 August www.iristheatre.com
- July: Theresa Robson, Alan Aicken, Sara Ivanovic, Nicola Warwick, Brigid Murray, Robert Jaggs-Fowler, Harriet Torr, Graham Buchan, Andrew Moorhouse, Ailsa Holland, Lara Frankena, and Margaret Haig all win poetry collections in our latest prize draw
- 10 May: Sarah Westcott (Bexley) and Andy Eycott (Belvedere) win a copy of Singular Voices by Nicola Wood (Troubador Publishing)
- 17 April: Alice Kavounas (Cornwall) and Shirley Wright (Bristol) win Alison Brackenbury's 'Then' (Carcanet) in our latest prize draw.
- 20 March: 6 winners of 'In the Library of Lost Objects' by Noel Duffy courtesy of Ward Wood Publishing: Valerie Ball (Bromyard), Dafydd Gwynne Harries (Ashby de la Zouch), Janine Illian (Angus), Hilary McCreery (Somerton), Evie Robertson (Rome), Harriet Torr (Caithness).
- 18 March: 10 winners of Ten Poems from Wales pamphlet (Candlestick Press): Sue Flawn (Southampton), Andy Eycott (Belvedere), Hugh Dunkerley (Brighton), Ann White (Guernsey), Riff Poynton (Barnet), Noreen Stoker (Dorchester), Emilie Bilman (Switzerland), Jessica Wortley (Sunderland), Philip Cram (Workington), and Janet Brown (Milton Keynes)
- 8 February: Christine Phillips, Gateshead, wins 2 poetry collections in our latest prize draw. Thank you Hearing Eye for the kind donation
- 10 December: Rod Whitworth (Oldham), and Ted Millichap (Reading) win 'Japonika' by Paul Heinowski
- 10 December: Andy Eycott (Belvedere) wins 'Courage and Strength' anthology
- 7 December: Tracey Martin (London), Kathy Towers (Derbyshire), Carole Bromley (York), Alexis Dimyan (Brecon), Liz Wright (Ross-on-Wye), and Peter Southall (Cleveland) win The Twelve Poems of Christmas (Candlestick Press)
- 9 November: Congrats to Bill Holloway and Nisa Saiyid who win tickets to 'Poetry of Free Expression' at King's Place
- 8 November: Congrats to Graham Buchan, Chelsia Tongue (both London), and Rod Whitworth (Oldham) who all win a copy of Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable www.chambers.co.uk/
- 8 October: Congrats to Clive McWilliam (Chester) who wins tickets to Carol Ann Duffy & Gillian Clarke in our prize draw
- 2 October: John Robinson (Newbury), Liz Lefroy (Shrewsbury) and Rampaul Chamba (Bilston) win tickets to see the Being Human poetry tour
- 15 August: Ruth McIlroy (Sheffield) wins ticket to see Liz Lochhead & Jackie Kay, Edinburgh 23 Aug, Poetry in the Persian Tent
- 19 July: Valerie Ball (Bromyard), Ann Segrave (Lewes), Joan Stansbury (Ivybridge), Alan Griffiths (Scarborough) & Maggie Jackson (Leeds) win a copy of In Memoriam in our latest prize draw - a real alternative to a ‘With Sympathy’ card for people who have been recently bereaved (Candlestick Press)
- 3 July: Katherine Lockton wins a pair of tickets to 'As You Like It' at St Paul's Church, Covent Garden - thank you to Iris Theatre.
- 13 June: Gwynne Harries (Ashby de la Zouch), Elle Zwandahl (Bury St Edmunds) and Jayne Arnott (Hereford) win tickets to Being Human poetry performance tour
- 18 May: Andrew Fisher (Skegness), Nicola Warwick (Ipswich) and Lesley McDonagh (Ashford) win a copy of the Split Screen anthology edited by Andy Jackson for Red Squirrel Press
- 8 May: Peter Wood wins a pair of tickets to 'From the Jungle'
- 14 February: John Kalmus wins a pair of tickets to see Personal Journeys: Michael Rosen on Migrations at Tate Britain, part of their Migrations exhibition.
- 1 February: Congratulations to the the winners of our Winter Poetry Quiz who win a selection of poetry books. S J Redmond (Liverpool); Dr Sandra Sullivan (London), David Peter (Powys), Marilyn Francis (Radstock), Keith Lander (Northwhich), Chris Jackson (Plymouth), Richard Eastburn-Hewitt (Hampton Wick), Hannah Linden-Nicholson (Totnes), Helen Jagger Wood (Camelford) and Lance Pierson (London).
- 6 December: Arthur Carr (Carlisle) wins Chambers Biographical Dictionary.
- 30 November: congrats to John Asling, winner of three tickets to see John Agard's version of The Tempest, Calibania, at the Tristan Bates theatre.
- 7 November: Congrats to Youth Member Rebecca Rauer (St Helens), who wins a pair of tickets to see Carol Ann Duffy, at the Liverpool Winter's Tale Festival.
- 12 October: Mary Gilonne (France) and Richard Jones (Lancashire) win a copy of 'Too Asian, Not Asian Enough' (Tindal Street Press)
- 6 September: Timothy Edwards wins pair of tickets to the Taunton leg of 'What are they Whispering', a new poetry show from Jaybird
- 10 June: Barbara O'Donnell (North London) and Hilary Murray (Leeds) both win a free Poetry School course in our recent prize draw www.poetryschool.com
- 30 March: Congrats to our members who win a 'Ten Poems about Mothers' pamphlet just in time for Mother's Day. Angela Topping (Northwich), Jonathan Benaim (London), Natasha Morgan (London), Heather Wastie (Kidderminster), Lauren McCormack (London), Patricia Ace (Crieff), Susan Thornton (Littlehampton), Jan Hutchison (New Zealand), Janet Lancaster (Oakham), and Christine Williams (Neston) www.candlestickpress.co.uk/
- 28 March: Simone Ayers (Buckhurst Hill), Patrick Drysdale (Abingdon), Judith Henjes
(Market Harborough), Rachel Piercey, Anne Marie Jackson (London), Jane Holiday (Shrewsbury), Roger Garfitt (Shropshire),
Dr Robert Jaggs-Fowler (Barton Humber), Duncan Chambers (York),
Roanne O'Neil (Oxford) win a selection of poetry-in-translation books in our prize draw to celebrate the launch of The Corneliu M Popescu Prize
- 13 January: Max Hildebrand wins 'The Perfect Order - Selected Poems 1974-2010' by Nasos Vayenas. www.anvilpresspoetry.com/
- 11 January: Gillian Foster (France), Sandra Perkins (Redhill), Mavis Downey (Talgarth), Anne Everest (Sidmouth), Keith Lander (Northwich), Joy Wharton (Aberdeen), Geraint Wyn Starr (Conwy), Valerie Ball (Bromyard), Janet Brown (Milton Keynes), Peter Southall (Cleveland),
- 20 December: Winners of the Bronte Calendar, a Grey Hen Press production: Nina Boyd (Huddersfield), Nicky Phillips (Stevenage), Peter Southall (Cleveland), Madeleine Patston (Wootton), Judith Henjes (Market Harborough), Polly Bird (Bedlington), Andrew Forster (Grasmere), and Edward Bannell (Portsmouth).
- 20 December: Ama Bolton (Wells), Rachael Boast (Bristol) and Elzbieta Wojcik-Leese (Denmark) win A Room and Half DVD
- 30 November: The Rudyard Kipling poetry CDs (read by Ralph Fiennes) were won by Patricia Callender (Dumbarton) and A E Ballakisten (South Africa).
- 17 November - Amy Neilson Smith is the winner of a pair of tickets to see Kate Fox on the Coventry leg of her current tour.
- 2 November: Sam Jeffery (Southampton) wins a pair of tickets to the Forest Poets evening with Darren Hayman, Walthamstow.
- 2 November - 10 Poetry Society members win a copy of Billy Collins's Ballistics - congrats to Bob Hanson, Les Holloway, Mary Anne Perkins, Guy Hunter, Suzanna Fitzpatrick, Matt Holmes, Alison Prince, Riff Poynton, Gareth Writer-Davies and Marilyn Francis.
- 2 November - Congratulations to Jenny Shepherd who wins a pair of tickets to Heart Beats Bonfire Bonanza. Poetry and comedy from Nathan Penlington, Camellia Stafford, and Chris McCabe PLUS music from Cakes and Ale, and Hannah May Forster. Bethnal Green, Saturday 6 November.
- 2 November - Congratulations to Jennie Osborne who wins a pair of tickets for the launch of Harry Guest's new collection 'Some Times' (Anvil). Wed 10 November 7.30pm to 8.45pm. Talk and reading, followed by Q&A session. Exeter Central, Library Castle Street Exeter EX4 3PQ Tel: 01392 384 201
- 2 November - Congrats to Annabella Massey who wins a ticket (worth £20) to see Mimi Khalvati and John Haynes, Portsmouth 28 Nov at Poetry in the Park 4pm – 7pm, The Lodge, Victoria Park, Portsmouth. www.tongues-and-grooves.org.uk
- 24 September - Congratulations to Edmund Matyjaszek and Kelley Swain who each win a pair of tickets to see a celebration of John Milton's birthday at St Giles Cripplegate, 9th December 2010 - 7:15pm.
- 3 September - Congratulations to everyone who won pairs of tickets in the latest Poetry Society prize draw to the Felix Dennis 'Did I Mention The Free Wine' tour: Kate Compston (who won tickets to go to Exeter on 21 September), Amy Neilson Smith (23rd September, Brighton), Robin Cronan, Alison Chisholm & Natalie Williams (1st October, Liverpool), Linda Goulden (4th October, Leeds), Lynn Higham and Chris Holden (5th October, Manchester), Bob Dew (10 October, Windermere) and Lesley McDonagh (15th October, London).
- 31 August - Katrina Naomi wins pair of tickets to Pascale Petit reading, Walthamstow
- 12 August - Jenny Shepherd, Lindsay Jefferies, Amy Neilson Smith, Innes Richens, and Youth Member Devanshi Sheth who have all won tickets in our latest prize draw to a private viewing of Behind the Lines, Faces of Modern Poetry. dreamspace gallery, 1-3 Dufferin Street, London EC1
Review of Behind the Lines by Jenny Shepherd: "As a keen photographer and poet, I was lucky enough to attend the private view and hear readings by 12 of the featured poets. Liam Davenport had persuaded 22 young poets to be photographed in places in and around London, that had “resonance and personal importance” for them. The poetry was a joy. Subjects varied from a near death experience in India (Joe Dunthorne) to trying to buy a housemate’s bed (Chris McCabe); and from the Secret Service (Jon Stone) to computer games (Kirsten Irving)."
- 5 August - Jess Wortley (Sunderland) is the winner of Paul Lyalls' collection Catching the Cascade (flipped eye)
- 1 July - Peter Wood (Hong Kong) wins a copy of Brendan Cleary's Goin' Down Slow Selected Poems 1985 - 2010 - available from tall-lighthouse £10
- 25 May - Teresa Birks (London) wins tickets to 'Up Close and Personal' at the Actors' Church, St Pauls. Thank you to Iris Theatre Company for providing the tickets.
- 21 May - Valerie Josephs wins pair of tickets to launch of 'Awater' - part of the Go Dutch series of events on new Dutch Writing at the Free Word Centre
- 19 May - Nina Boyd (Huddersfield) wins 2 day passes to the Bridlington Poetry Festival (11-13 June) and a night in a double room at the Sewerby Grange Hotel.
Review of Bridlington Poetry Festival by Nina Boyd: Many thanks to the Poetry Society for the fantastic prize of a day at the Bridlington Poetry Festival and a comfortable night in the Sewerby Grange hotel, with poached eggs for breakfast and rabbits on the lawn. Some great readings in beautiful surroundings, and an illuminating talk on Wallace Stevens; the Orangery, full of light, was a delightful place to sit and listen – to poetry and the chiming of clocks. The sea was in view, weather outstanding, and a clifftop walk at lunchtime (past the llamas) made it the perfect day. Looking forward very much to next year’s festival!
- 18 May - Simone Mansell Broome (West Wales), Martin Johns (Northamptonshire), Eve Grubin (London), Patrick Widdess (Cambridge), Devanshi Sheth (Youth Member from Middlesex), and Christine Holden (Lancashire) each win a copy of the Little Machine CD: poetry set to music featuring Shelley, Yeats, Marvell and more.
- 21 April - Jenny Swann (Nottingham) is the winner of Paul Farley's Field Recordings. Thank you to Donut for donating a copy of the book.
- 16 April - Diana Pooley (London) is the winner of a pair of tickets to Henze's opera Elegy for Young Lovers - co-written by Auden and his partner Chester Kallman - at the ENO, April 26th. Thank you to the ENO for donating the tickets.
Review of Elegy for Young Lovers by Diana Pooley: "The desire some creatives have for heightened self-involvement can extend beyond their work. It can leech into the restructuring (here, in the case of a poet, into destroying) lives around them. Although Auden’s and Kallman’s libretto, black and comedic is masterly and the Henze music exhilarating perhaps the opera is too long and this production too busy. However the quality of Fiona Shaw’s direction, of the singing, the orchestra and of the staging makes for a rich feast."
- 14 April - Collette Caffrey (Herts) and Graham High (London) win tickets to A Room and a Half, a film about Joseph Brodsky. Thank you to Yume Pictures for donating the tickets.
- 8 April - Sonya Smith (Sussex), Jessica Wortley (Sunderland) and Rachel Ivens (London) all win tickets to see Carol Ann Duffy at the Dorothy Wordsworth Festival, Grasmere. Thank you to the Wordsworth Trust for donating the tickets.
- 8 April - Anna Meryt and Patricia Crittenden-Bloom win pair of tickets to Under Milk Wood, Colchester. Thank you to the Mercury Theatre for donating the tickets.
Review of Under Milk Wood by Patricia Crittenden-Bloom: "Colchester’s Mercury Theatre played to an enthusiastic audience with their sparkling production of ‘Under Milk Wood’ depicting a day and a night in a Welsh fishing village. The set was a masterpiece of lighting design and the multifunctioning furniture made transitions from church to pub to garden gate utterly believable. High above the set Captain Cat introduced various characters, a luminescent blue screen below eerily conveying silhouettes of his drowned sailors and, most poignantly, his lost lady love. Nine actors imbued all forty-seven characters with exuberant life while managing breakneck costume changes, speedy entrances/exits and agile leaps. There was also a truly mystifying disappearance from a sofa. Some of the best comic moments took place in the theatre aisles where we were fortunate enough to be seated.
Although a Welsh accent was not uniformly sustained by all cast members, the actors’ mastery of Thomas’s glorious language flowed in unabated sequence and did the poem justice. This was theatre at its most evocative best."
- 1 April - Owen Gallagher (London) wins a pair of tickets to see Christopher Reid and Tobias Hill at Lauderdale House
- 25 March - Kevin Jones (Cambridgeshire) wins tickets to Adrian Mitchell tribute
Review of 'Yes' by Ashley Smith, who accompanied Kevin Jones to this event: "Yes: an eclectic mix of spoken word, song, dance and jazz, this celebration of Adrian Mitchell’s life and works gave affirmation to Mitchell the poet and to the beliefs he held dear. From the irreverent exuberance of ‘Bad Friday’ to the bittersweet poignancy of ‘Secret Country’ and ‘Imagination’, Mitchell’s irrepressible love of life and his commitment to peace resonated loud and clear through the voices of his family and friends. Mitchell once remarked: ‘My poetry likes to say yes.’ How fitting, then, that over a year after his death, his poetry is saying yes more resolutely than ever."
- 25 March - Debbie Jellings (Somerset) wins tickets to Dannie Abse celebration, Chepstow
- 24 March - Nick Makoha (London) wins a pair of tickets to the Chris Ofili exhibition at Tate Britain
- 12 March - Andrew Rudd (Cheshire), Hilary Murray (Yorkshire), Beverley Nadin (Yorkshire), Michelle McGrane - no relation! (South Africa) and John Mackay (Middlesex) each win a Bright Star DVD
- 4 March - Sally Jenkins (Hertfordshire), Tracey Martin (Thailand), Barbara Farley (Devon), Marilyn Longstaff (Darlington) and Ann Segrave (Sussex) each won a pair of tickets to the Van Gogh exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts.
- 4 March - Andrew Diamond, Veronica Zundel and Annabel Unity Sale each won a pair of tickets to The Knees Up goes 'Up West', Actors Church, Covent Garden.
Review of 'Knees Up' by Veronica Zundel: "In my day we all gathered round the piano and made our own entertainment..’ Well it was probably never true, but either way, Underbling and Vow’s ‘The Knees Up Goes West’ was the nearest thing you are ever likely to see to it on stage. All the old music hall and musical favourites rolled out along with the barrel and some very funny hip hop versions of Cockney favourites. Staged as an East End wedding where the groom never turned up (his wife wouldn’t let him), this show took audience participation to a new level, enhanced by the presence of real Pearly Kings and Queens (did you know Highgate had a pearly monarchy?). Though ‘Fame’ and Madness’s ‘It must be love’ sat oddly amongst ‘I'm getting married in the morning’ and ‘Knees up Mother Brown’, the total result was a refreshingly oldfashioned night out, with only one (not very) blue joke and not a single special effect in sight. Loverly..."
- 1 March - pair of tickets won by Heather Davies (again!) to see Brian Patten and Ann Drysdale, Chepstow. Thank you to On the Border for the donation.
- 26 February - 2 pairs of tickets won by Lisa Tredwen (London) and Louise Rickard (Oxfordshire) for 'Return', a film by Polarbear, at Battersea Arts Centre.
- 26 February - 2 pairs of tickets for Inua Ellams's 'The 14th Tale' at the National Theatre won by Katrina Naomi and Monika Burbo, both of London.
- 25 February - pairs of tickets for 'You Are Here', with Nagra, Bryce, Shapcott, won by Hazel Cameron (Yorkshire), Cheryl Moskowitz (London), Theresa Robson (Lancs) and Bob Dew (Lancs)
- 19 February: Pauline Henderson (Northampton) won a pair of tickets to the National Poetry Competition awards ceremony in March
- 9 February - prize draw: copies of Well Versed - poems from the Morning Star (Hearing Eye) - won by Frances Green, Mary Argent, Jun Yun Cha
- 28 January - Heather Davies (Chepstow) won tickets to Glyn Maxwell & Stephen Knight, donated by On the Border
- 27 January - Jenny Shepherd (London) won pair of tickets for 'My Boy Jack', Barons Court Theatre, Fulham
- 15 December 2009 - prize draw: 10 Poems on the Underground anthologies
- 30 November 2009 - prize draw: 10 Bright Star soundtrack CDs
- 30 November 2009 - prize draw: pair of tickets to Martina Evans poetry reading, London
- 25 November 2009 - 2 pairs of tickets for Nicky French, cabaret, at St Pauls, Covent Garden
- 25 November 2009 - prize draw: pair of tickets for Simon Armitage & Owen Sheers, Chepstow
- 23 November 2009 - prize draw: 5 X 12 Poems of Xmas booklets from Candlestick Press
- 20 November 2009 - prize draw: 10 pairs of tickets for Wild Thing exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts
- 13 November 2009 - prize draw: 10 copies of Olivia Cole's Restricted View (Salt)
- 7 November 2009 - prize draw: pair of tickets for Don Paterson & Paul Henry, Chepstow
- 24 October 2009 - Celebration of Vernon Scannell, Aylesbury, discount tickets
- 6 October 2009: Discount tickets to Poems on the Underground - Cope, Shapcott & Szirtes
- 3 October 2009: Prize Draw: 2 pairs of tickets to Tony Curtis & Helen Dunmore, Chepstow
- 21 September 2009 - Prize Draw: 5 pairs of tickets for John Clare lecture at RSL
- 5 September 2009 - Prize Draw: pair of tickets for Wendy Cope & Sheenagh Pugh, Chepstow
- 27-29 August 2009 - Prize Draw: 5 pairs of tickets, Children's Opera, Covent Garden
- 11 August 2009 - Prize Draw: 2 pairs of tickets, Michael Symmons Roberts & Peter Bennet, Grasmere
- 1 August 2009 - Prize Draw: pair of tickets to James Fenton & Kathryn Gray, Chepstow
- 13 July 2009 - Prize Draw: 2 pairs of tickets to After Darwin at Natural History Museum
- 10 July 2009 - Prize Draw: 2 pairs of tickets to The Best of Betjeman, London & Edinburgh
- 6 July 2009 - Prize Draw: 10 pairs of tickets for J W Waterhouse Exhibition, Royal Academy
- 6 June 2009 - Prize Draw: pair of tickets for Kit Wright and Peter Finch, Chepstow
- 3 June 2009 - Prize Draw: pair of tickets for Romeo and Juliet, Covent Garden
- 31 May 2009 - London Philharmonic Orchestra - £10 for best available seat, Royal Festival Hall.
- 11 May 2009 - Prize Draw: pair of tickets to Tribute to Yehuda Amichai, National Portrait Gallery.
- 1 May 2009 - Prize Draw: 10 copies of Peter Porter's Better Than God (Picador)
- 20 April 2009 - Prize Draw: City Lighthouse anthology from tall-lighthouse
- 10 April 2009 - Prize Draw: 2 free tickets to the 3rd Annual Haliburton Literary Evening
- 1 April 2009 - Prize Draw: pair of tickets to Carol Ann Duffy & Gillian Clarke (Chepstow, 2 May).
- 31 March 2009 - 20% off Martin Espada & Omar Perez at Southbank Centre
- 14 March 2009 - 20% off Michael Donaghy celebration at Southbank Centre
- 11 March 2009 - Prize draw: pair of free tickets to see John Hegley
- 6 March 2009. Prize draw: 20 sets of Royal Mail mint stamps celebrating Burns' 250th birthday
- 5 February 2009. Glasgow Gliterary Lunch - Rupert Brooke - £10 discount for PS members.
- 8 December 2008. 5 pairs of free tickets to Royal Society of Literature Milton event.
- 9 November 2008. 2 pairs of free tickets to Rupert Brooke at York Theatre Royal.
- 27 October 2008. 2 free tickets to Seamus Heaney in Conversation, Wyndham's Theatre.
- 4 October 2008. 2 free tickets for an afternoon with Derek Walcott, University of Essex, Colchester.
- 11 September 2008. 2 free tickets to An Evening of Poetry and Song, Bolivarian Hall, London.
- August to October 2008 - various dates. 10 pairs of free tickets to Liberty by Glyn Maxwell, Globe Theatre.
- 30 August 2008. Buy one, get one free offer for guided history/poety tour of Crouch End, London.
- 25 June 2008. 2 free tickets for Lights and Shadows event, Chelsea Festival.
- 8 June 2008. 2 free tickets for Cries from the Heart, Theatre Royal, London.
- 7 June 2008. 10 pairs of free tickets for The Poetry of Yellow Mountain event, Southbank Centre.
- June 2008 - various dates. 5 pairs of free tickets to various events at New Writing Worlds Festival, Norwich, including a reading by J.M. Coetzee.
- 23 April 2008 - invite to all Poetry Society Members of unveiling of commerative plague in honour of T.S. Eliot.
- April/May 2008 - various dates. 5 pairs of free tickets for Fram by Tony Harrison, National Theatre.
- April/May 2008 - various dates. 5 pairs of free tickets for The Only Girl at the World by Glyn Maxwell, Arcola Theatre.
- 3 March 2008. Free tickets for all Poetry Society Members to Royal Society of Literature reading by Alice Oswald and Kathleen Jamie, Courtauld Institute.
- 14 February 2008. 2 tickets for the price of one for The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra's Valentine's Concert, Cadogan Hall